About Me

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Clean Healthy Eating

My husband and I are really trying hard to stay healthy this summer. Not that we weren't healthy in the past, but we certainly had room for improvement.  Our plan?

Boot camp 2-3 times a week
Tennis
Bike rides
Kayaking
Spin Class ( I am teaching)
Weight Training  and loooong walks with our pooch.

During the week we focus on HEALTHY eating...low fat, high nutrients, lower carbs, no wine, * or less of it! ;-) * 


Tonight, I am experimenting with this dish
.

What shall I call it?  ummm...How about " HEALTHY Eggplant/Spinach Moussaka Lasagna!"  ha!

I peeled and sliced an eggplant.  Put on paper towels and salted each piece to remove the bitterness. Rinsed off the salt after 10 minutes.

In a frying pan I sauteed lean ground chicken.  Due to the zero fat, it needed tons of flavour, so I added minced onion, lots of garlic, a little salt and pepper, oregano from the garden, basil and cinnamon to give it a "Moussaka" taste...

I put some tomato puree from the jar on the bottom of the dish. Layered it with eggplant instead of lasagna noodles. Placed some meat mixture, fresh spinach, a little bit of mozzarella, and then another layer of all of above. Feta cheese on top.  Will bake this tonight and see how it goes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment