About Me

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Summer meals, healthy and taste GREAT~!

I love to make healthy burger type patties. I always start with the leanest of meats I can find. Turkey, Chicken or Extra lean ground beef.

Because these lean meats have less fat, they are lacking in flavour. So you NEED to add a ton of spice, and grated veggies and beans to add moisture without fat. I will grate carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, and add spices like hot sauce, curry, cumin, TONS of garlic, pepper, anything and everything. The more the better.  You want lots of flavour.

The funny thing is...My KIDS get excited when I am making Mom's Healthy Burgers! They prefer them over the fast food joints.

Here are a few dishes I create after I make a bunch of them.


Put down a bed of peppery arugula, sliced tomatoes, goats cheese and drizzle with whatever you like. I seem to really like balsamic vinegar. I use it all the time.  Throw in a sprig of rosemary to make it pretty if you'd like.

I was having a great day, did an amazing HARD CORE work-out, and wanted to treat myself to a  nice lunch.

SO I made this with my left over burgers.

I sauteed spinach in garlic, made a bed of that on the plate, then sauteed portabello sliced mushrooms in white wine, ( I didn't use ANY oil in this)  Next I re-heated my veggie, lean burger, added a few sundried tomatoes ( in water, not oil), light goats cheese, a few sliced almonds and couple of croutons for crunch. I drizzled with a truffle infused balsamic vinegar I found at the grocery store.

THIS was my LUNCH.  All to myself! SOOO good.  Probably under 400 calories too!



That night, Marshall was craving burgers, as he just had a long teen weight training program at our local Y. So proud of him.
I added a bit more to his, as the kid is a growing boy!  I wrapped his in bacon, and put a friend egg on top. Added a few boiled potatoes with fresh herbs, olive oil and edamame for extra protein! All on Arugula. He love it.




This is just another healthy meal that the entire family loves! I bake Tilapia in a coconut crust, no oil, no frying, just bake in a bit of white wine and top with coconut. Then chop a few fruits together, I used whatever I had. Papaya, green onions and tomatoes. Serve on top as a salsa.  The kids love roasted beets and they are one of the super foods, so we eat them all the time. Along with a fresh salad....you've got ONE HECK of a HEALTHY meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment