About Me

Friday, May 11, 2012

Huge Protein Week

What I know about Protein.

You need to have enough of it in your body to keep and build muscle. You want to have lots of it , as when you work out, your body will burn off the most recent  carbs first, then head to muscle if you don't have enough protein inside of you.  IF you do have enough, then the fat cells get used as fuel! YAY!    Got to love that.

However you need to have a little bit of healthy fat with your protein for it to be properly absorbed.  ( good fats? olive oil, avocado, nuts, fish)

Hence why fish is soo darn good for you!

You need at least 1 gm of protein per 1 kg of your body weight per day.  When you add that up, that is a lot. So if you are 120 lbs you should eat 50 grams of protein a day. More if you are building muscle.

There is a lot more I could say about the amino acids, and breakdown, etc. But basically this is the basics of what we need to know.

So how do you add more protein into your diet?  Read Oxygen magazine as they have some amazing recipes.  I will share a few.




Click to enlarge

mine, done on the BBQ with lemon green beans and I ALWAYS have broccoli on my week-day plates!
So good! It was a hit in this house and I didn't even miss the carbs.  I used spicy turkey sausage out of the casing instead of the turkey meat, and used my home-made tomato sauce.


I tend to start my day with egg whites and whole grain toast. Work-out, then I add the hot water to my home-made protein oatmeal snacks that I make and have shown previously on my blog. 

Home for a late lunch around 2pm. Have something like this.

Lettuce " taco" wraps filled with black bean and lean ground turkey meat loaf that I make and freeze.
Basically a meat loaf, but use extra lean ground turkey, black beans rinses, lots of herbs and spices of your choice, shredded zucchini , carrots and chopped mushrooms.  Bake, slice and freeze into individual servings for quick meals.






No comments:

Post a Comment