About Me

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Valentines Day

We just got home from a very long flight and time change of Hawaii.  For some reason I got my second wind and wanted to try and create something nice for our family meal that night. I had no energy to get to the grocery store, nor time, so it was a FUN challenge to see what I had kicking around the fridge, freezer and pantry to see what I could come up with!

Here it goes!

I found a few veggies in the crisper- made a salad...


I got a little crazy and tried to make pink heart shaped and X's and O's bread...hard to do in my micro oven ( the big oven is still not in operation! Don't even go there! I am so upset)  so it was a little over-baked....perhaps that means my family is over- loved!?  How cheesy!


 and we all love our snails baked in garlic butter and cute shells! Served on a shell!


and I had enough onions to make French Onion Soup with some Brandy on top, swiss cheese and guess what? I had to make mini pink heart shaped buns to toast and put inside....


then I had Lime Sorbet to serve to cleanse our palates but guess what? I forgot!  But I found this picture from wiskblog.com...isn't that a great way to serve it? I usually use mini martini glasses.


I found a couple of nice Beef Tenderloin steaks in the freezer. Defrosted, pan seared in garlic butter and then wrapped in some Phylo Pastry I also found in the freezer.  I didn't have any puffed pastry, and this wasn't ideal, but it worked out just fine.  I got a little crazy again and thinly sliced potatoes , cut into hearts, and seasoned with olive oil and herbs de provence.  Edamame for a garnish of green, as it looked so blah!


I had some strawberries in the fridge, so I dipped them in melted chocolate and made Coconut Macaroons for my very first time. WHO knew they were SO easy to make? I had to dye them pink...and yes, they got a little toasty due to the damn oven situation again!  But I knew we'd be getting chocolate for dessert anyway!  They were actually pretty good.

of course I had to set the table all pretty and lovey....I always happen to have themed decorations stored in the house....I can't believe I even found heart balloons!

I was impressed that I pulled this off without doing any grocery shopping prep!  All with what we had around the house. It wasn't perfect at all, but my gift to my family.  I even included a card with a detailed reason WHY I love each and every one of them SO much. Good days and bad...

What did MY sweetheart bring home for me?


and obnoxious card, chips, cheese, wine and a pack of lighters!  ( lighters!?!)  because we needed some for lighting candles and fires around the house.....and he said I complained that I didn't have enough CHEESE while in Hawaii ( they don't eat much cheese there....not sure why?)  too funny!

what a man....but I wouldn't want it any other way!

No comments:

Post a Comment