About Me

Friday, January 1, 2010

Embrace this glorious white stuff and winter!

For those that hate snow....ummm....either move or get over it!  Like it or not, it will be here every single year.

I use to hate it, but then I discovered skiing. Now we are huge fans of the white fluffy stuff! I am good with it until about April..then I want it gone-IMMEDIATELY!!  ( that doesn't quite happen, and we get the mucky, muddy, dirt and uglieness afterwards, until the sun greens things up again) but for the time being, I think the snow is quite pretty. My son will be out in it for hours each day and I have to drag him in. His favourite season is WINTER.

Shoveling snow: Someone my size can burn off 355 calories per hour doing that everyday northerner's chore? So get out there! 

Skating!? Get some skates and get out there..530/calories an hour!  Speed it up!

Tobaganning--the kids will LOVE you for it!  415/calories an hour, unless you are going down our CLIFF in our backyard...we call the hill "  the cardiac arrest!"

Down Hill Skiing? Who knew you actually  burned off 400 calories an hour doing that!? helps with the Apres Ski afterwards! :-)

Snow-shoeing: depends on what type of snow you are going through...I laugh at the people walking along the road...after the plow has gone by....if you are going to do it...GET out there and do it!  Go into a wooded area and enjoy nature around you. It is quite fun actually. Plus you will burn off over 500 calories per hour. Not bad at all!


Then there is Hockey: The #1 sport that gets me huffing and puffing!  I get so competitive out there and I suck at it, so I have to work so hard...500 calories per hour. And in my league we are always short players, so we don't get any resting time...and we play at such a late -god -awful hour, out in the middle of the boonies, that they let us have the ice as long as we want!  I am dead at 90 minutes though!

I have to say though...if you are going to get outside in the winter and you live in a Northern Climate..it is ESSENTIAL to have proper snow gear. I have to laugh at people that hate the cold and then I see what they are wearing!? umm....I can see WHY you hate it. Dress appropriately and you will learn to enjoy it a heck of alot more!

So we really do invest in good Ski Gear in this house...as like I said, we tend to LIVE outdoors all year round...so we have to be ready for all the elements.








No comments:

Post a Comment