About Me

Sunday, April 8, 2012

HAPPY EASTER! ( and I still don't have a working oven--BUT) this is what we accomplished!

So I love to entertain, I love to cook, I love to set a pretty table, pick out the wine, etc....and now it is EASTER! yay.  My oven ( Sears!  ) broke down at Christmas and it is still not repaired! Don't even get me started on THAT!...so lets talk about the good stuff instead....

I invited my family and Alan's for Brunch on Sunday, ( I am the type of person that will invite everyone, as the more the merrier and I wouldn't want anyone to feel left out, or celebrate an occasion alone) This stems from our past living in Ottawa. There were many holidays where  Alan and I wouldn't be able to get home to see our families, due to our shift work in Health Care and we were so far away. No one wants to be alone so we decided,   we would let EVERYONE know...WE are having a meal at " _____" time , our place, please come if you are free.  We have had people from all over the world, as people tend to come to Canada to get their medical degrees. I still have the most beautiful basket from one of our  guests that was Muslim.  ( Yes, we had people from every race, every culture, religion, sexuality, etc) We would show them what Canadians normally eat and do on certain holidays and they would share what they did back in their own Country. It was really interesting...some of the best memories!

  One year, little did I know that Braun, a co-worker of mine...a fellow R.N, came for Christmas, and that was was his last year alive. He died of unexpected Cancer before the next Christmas.   Honestly, you just never know...invite everyone possible. Life is too short not to. No regrets!

Well, enough of that rant. After all of that, it turned out that my in-laws were free today, and the rest of the people we had  invited had somewhere  else to celebrate, or they were working or with other family.

It was still a very nice meal, as we tend to eat at my in-laws a lot, so it was nice to return the favour. I told her NOT to bring a thing, it is time for ME to do the work for her...



Grilled Grapefruit  Brûlée- 1st course- an experiment, and turned out really good actually!



Pan seared scallops on a bed of spinach, edamame, strawberries, almonds, carrots and a  honey /lime dressing. Served with Italian Prosecco!



Cleanse the palate with Key Lime Sorbet...

For this dish was got the basic recipe from Food and Drink magazine, but changed it up a bit. Spaghetti with a garlic, wine, Parmesan sauce, with basil, red pepper, crispy pancetta, and lemon asparagus. Topped with a runny, gooey, poached egg that releases all it's yumminess all over your pasta...

I can't " bake" so I put some frozen vanila bean yogurt in a dish, and poured on some caramel Baileys and skor bar bits...served with a biscotti.

Tea, espresso and coffee...

It was a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment