About Me

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Vegetarian Moroccan Stew

We were having my husband's Surgical Resident over for dinner the other night. It was last minute, I had a busy day planned and all I knew was it had to be easy to make, and Vegetarian ( she doesn't eat meat)

I called my friend Mindy...and she sent me this recipe.  I was SO impressed. Amazing dish, full of good for you stuff!  Easy to make and full of flavour.  I had to share it.  I did a little research on it, as it is also featured in " Crazy Plates" a cookbook for healthy, low fat meals.  No wonder, it is really good.   I sent the small amount of leftovers to work with her the next day...she was pretty happy about that.



Rockin Moroccan Stew

Ingredients:

4 cups of whole un-chopped brown, small cremini mushrooms ( smallest ones you can find)
3 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 large green pepper, chopped
2 cloves of garlic-minced
3 cups vegetable broth
3 cups chopped cubed yams
1 can diced tomatoes- larger can
1 can of garbanzo beans/chick peas
2 cups of your favourite pasta sauce
3 tsp grated fresh ginger root
2 tsp ground cumin
3 tsp curry
3 tsp coriander
2 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper to taste
( play with the spices, add more or less if you need)

Peanut butter and cilantro ( add at the very end)

1. Saute the mushrooms in a large pot, add celery, pepper and garlic, saute until tender.
2. Add broth and remaining ingredients. ( minus peanut butter and cilantro) Cook until yams are done ( close to an hour) simmering.
3. Add 2 tbsp peanut butter and a bunch of cilantro chopped. Stir.

Can be served over rice or potatoes with fresh bread.

 Optional: I have seen a few recipes that add raisins....and a dash of lemon juice as well. That is up to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment